David recently had emergency triple bypass heart surgery after significant blockage was found in three major arteries surrounding his heart. While the need was a shock and recovery is no fun, we are extremely thankful for God’s grace and mercy in leading us to the heart catheterization test that revealed the blockage.
Now two weeks after surgery David is getting on the treadmill once a day and is out for a walk once a day as well. His healing sternum provides the most discomfort, but since the fifth day after surgery he has only needed Tylenol to manage the pain.
While full recovery is expected to take as long as six months, David is expecting to be able to resume most normal activities in about a month. Each day he is getting a little more exercise and is feeling a little stronger.
Please pray with us for David’s continuing recovery and wisdom in knowing how much to do and in taking steps to prevent future heart problems.
Things God did to prepare David:
- A pre-fainting spell in April that was probably a silent heart attack started David on a quest for the problem although four days of tests in the hospital and subsequent tests showed no heart problems.
- While looking for the cause of the April event David took several steps to lower his stress, lose weight and eat healthier and get more exercise while continuing to pursue answers. This has helped considerably in the recovery process.
- Family needs also created the occasion for David to work less and exercise between 1-2 hours a day beginning in May.
- Night fishing that David does especially during the summer to avoid the heat gave him an unnatural feeling of weakness in his chest the following day that went beyond normal fatigue. A cardiology appointment following a night fishing trip showed the first irregular EKG and a heart catheterization was scheduled a couple days later.
- Katrina decided to spend this year at home and has been a huge help and has provided great companionship for Kristia.
- The week before surgery David trimmed all the shrubs, pressure washed the eves and edged the yard.
- David had also just finished teaching Firm Foundations: Creation to Christ at CrossWay church for the fourth time and is not scheduled to start again until September 8.
If you would like to help offset some of the family and medical expenses incurred during this time please make at tax-deductible donation at: www.ntm.org/david-abbott/give